TGIT, eh? I’ve been back from California for 3 days now and I’m still not quite back into a routine … my work schedule has been really inconsistent which is probably throwing me off. Can’t wait for the weekend to play catch-up.
Question Master: Do you guys give things up for lent? It snuck up on me this year …all of a sudden it was Wednesday and I had already eaten dairy (something I had contemplated giving up) …so I was SOL on that idea. I also thought about alcohol but did that last year and it wasn’t all that fun (not the point, I know) …so, this year ….[drumroll, please] …..I’ll be giving up M-E-A-T! I’m not sure how hard this will be. I don’t eat much meat these days, but not because I’m actively thinking ‘I don’t eat meat’ …so this will be a little 40-day test. I’ll let you know how it goes.
So, this is going to be a hodge-podge of photos from the last couple days …mainly highlights.
1. Tiki Masala/Butter Chicken (Indian). This is a newer family favorite. My momma and I discovered the dish while on vacay in NYC a couple years ago at Devi. We tracked down the recipe and it was like 35 ingredients long, many of which we had never heard of, thus we didn’t succeed on that front. BUT, last summer a family friend found this Tiki Masala paste that lends itself very well to a simplified version. All you need:
- Chicken (if you want meat)
- Tiki Masala Paste
- Greek Yogurt
- Brown Rice
Marinade the chicken in the Tiki Masala paste with greek yogurt (plain works, too) …I think the longer the better because it allows the flavors to develop. Put in a pan when you’re ready [while simultaneously prepping rice+naan] and we’ve got a nice dinnah.
2. Next photo would be an afternoon snack: celery+PB+grapes
3. Then, out of consumption order, would be oatmeal!
- 1/4c my oat mix (old-fashioned+steel-cut)
- sprinkle of ground Bob’s Red Mill flax
- 1/4c hot water+soymilk
- dash ‘o orange extract
- [nuked in the microwave for a couple minutes]
- topped with my homemade granola from last week
4. Damn, out of eating order AGAIN, would by lunch over one of the last couple days
- Oats (same version as above, EXCEPT: more flax and shredded coconut)
5. How about the next image? That would be a floor full ‘o SWAG. I went to my first food show and holy hell, let me go back! Lots of fun new products. I’ll let you know my ‘love it or hate it’ comments once I start testing.
6-7. Last but not less-tasty than the others: two salads. The first one accompanied my Butter Chicken meal. It was a simple romaine+blueberries+nuts+cranberries+raspberry dressing. Salad #2 was courtesy of Target’s HQ cafeteria. Turns out I like expensive vegetables, because this salad (costed out on weight) was over 7 dollars! How d-lish are goldfish and sunflower seeds on top?
I’m hoping to get some good REM sleep tonight. Still a little sick …trying to push through with exercise [insert yoga sculpt+c2 yoga at corepower]. Does a bod good.